Sunday, January 3, 2010

Taco Salad

This has become a favorite of mine.

Take 3.5 ground beef
1.5 oz of onions (or as you desire or don't add if you don't mix veggies)
Spices: Mustard, smoked paprika, onion and garlic powder
Serving of Lettuce

I microwave the chopped onions for 2 minutes. I put the ground beef in a pan. I add seasonings and brown the meat. You can use a lot or a little seasoning so I don't like actually listing an amount. It feels a bit arbitrary. How ever your mood hits you.

I chop my lettuce into little bits and put it in a big bowl, then add the browned meat over it.

I put the stove to high, put my pan back on the stove and add several tablespoons of mustard on high heat. Then I add a little water and scrap off the seared on meat and mix the mustard. Makes a little sauce that reduces. I turn off the stove and pour the mixture onto the salad. Mix and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I've never microwaved onions before, I usually just sweat them or carmelize them with the meat, in order to marry the flavors. I'll try microwaving them sometimes. Now you have me curious. I like to make chili sometimes, too, by adding some no salt added diced tomatoes and chili powder and cayenne pepper. I count the tomato as my fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You havent had any problems with ground beef? I have worried that it is too fatty and so the last 2 rounds have stayed away from it. ~Lis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I microwave the onions because I want it to go faster. LOL You need to combine it with water. Doh.

    also- I use the 4% ground beef and let it completely cook off the fat. So far so good, beef in steak form doesn't seem to work for me. Roast does okay with me!

    ReplyDelete