Wednesday, October 14, 2009

quick update- out with the food

So, I am going through my pantry (for my MIL who reads this- there is still plenty) right now and I am finding it tiring to go through foods. Some food bank is going to be wealthy off of us.

Who knew that Campbell's Tomato Soup has High Fructose Corn Syrup??? I much rather make fresh because it's yummier and just as simple. I can say what goes into the recipe.

There is just a lot of 'general good mommy cook' foods that are crap. The Stoffers Stuffing also has the HFCS. :( I weeded out the weeds and left the gems alone. I did start to pack up my pantry with organic stuff so that stays.

We like to keep a pantry stocked for the possible emergency situation. I also like to keep it stocked just because I don't like going shopping every other day. When my husband did contract work for a big company he would take 3 months off to enjoy family and then go back to contract, I would like to stock up enough so I didn't have to buy groceries either much. Save a little while he took the time off.

I think it's just smart to stock up on food, but I want it to be good wholesome foods. My cans of beans all have sugar. I want to get dried beans in a bucket and then just take out a couple cups full and make it a week at at time.

I want to go to more 'whole foods' storage, bulk like that is so much healthier and since on this diet you can't open up from a can when you want, we are learning to cook pretty wholesome and from scratch. Now modify that for p3 and then p4 when all foods are open to us, but we stay with whole foods. We would manage ourselves a bit better I think.

We can still have our 'junky' foods but w/ wholesome ingredients it won't be so devastating to us.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! I bet that feels refreshing to have a pantry full of wonderful things to make food from! Thanks for you comment, btw- I will check into the options for the kiddos. :) We should have fun for Halloween! Are you going to do anything for adult entertainment on Halloween?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the process of doing the same thing with my pantry. I'm slowy weeding out the good stuff and replacing things with good wholesome food. I have two new favorite stores PCC and Wholefoods.

    ReplyDelete